Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Saying Yes is Easy

So it was. I made up my mind to take on the 12wbt challenge last Tuesday, though I’m not sure I realised it at the time. It actually was a seed planted in my head the week when The Boy turned forty one. Its been a year since the panic at turning forty and I’m hearing the same things, must get fit, must lose weight, must stop snoring. I can’t help but think the weight he was going to lose hasn’t gone away – it has company. And realising my efforts have been equally unspectacular.

I decided to just do it. I know because for every excuse I had an answer. Running is painful = get a good bra, just walk, try something! Its all a marketing and spin to make money = well other people have gotten results, so it cannot be pure hype. I’m not a sharing, group hugs and warm fuzzies type = consider that support has been the missing thing. I don’t want to do it on my own = ask G to do it with me. I don’t want anyone else to know = only scared of people knowing you fail, so stick at it and you can’t fail!!


Besides, its only for twelve weeks … what is the worst that can happen? Pain, suffering, and torture? I can take that for twelve weeks. Humiliation? How can it be more humiliating than being embarrassed about the way I look every day. Not being smart enough to solve this on my own? Well, maybe it is a case of being smart enough not to try and solve this on my own.

Now I find myself looking forward to it. I’m finding reasons to do it … feeling fit enough to get back into to playing underwater hockey, having the confidence to go canyoning with G, go clothes shopping for fun, buy a dress because its gorgeous not because it’s the one that fits, and maybe even for the first time in my life enjoy having my photo taken.


ns

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leander - have just joined up too, and joined the 12WBT blogging community with my own blog. I picked up on your bit about canyoning! That's something we do when we can, but it's been getting increasingly hard (and embarrassing) to get into a wetsuit. Good luck with it! There are all those wonderful canyons waiting for you come summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey,
    Thanks for dropping by :) I haven't been canyoning - but it is something my partner really loves to do. It would be great to feel confident enough in my fitness and strength to just say "yeah, lets do it" !!
    Good luck in your 12WBT :)

    ReplyDelete